Saturday, July 11, 2009

My reflection


Today, my school becomes the organizer of Cooking Competition for the state level. For the whole week my colleagues and I have been busy preparing for this special event. Each of us was assigned with specific tasks such technical, documentation, venue preparation, and other duties.

Being in charged of public address (PA) system really prompted me to channel all my energy and time to make sure everything goes on well. However when I reflect back I can say that I spent too much time focusing on this duty, thus leaving me less time and energy to focus on my core business of teaching.

And for me this is one of the major challenges faced by all the teachers nowadays. There are constant calls for teachers to fill in the job as clerks, technicians, gardeners, landscapers, sports coach and other responsibilities. The larger question is do teachers work hard at the right things? Are we focusing more to these secondary calling and rob us from our primary business? This is the question that keeps bordering me every time I was called to handle this secondary task.

Of course, through this multitasking and duties I have really learned a lot of new things and experiences that can really help me in my professional progress. However, I still feel guilty if I need to compromise the quality times with my students.

Perhaps the solution to this problem is time management. This is something we as a teacher needs to master and learn in these challenging days. Employing more clerks, gardeners and technicians per school may also solve this problem.

At the end of the day, there will always be a lot of tasks, responsibilities and expectation given to a teacher. We can’t change that .But what we can do is keep ourselves focus on our core business in whatever situation (I am reminding myself too) and work through these secondary duties.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sir Roy,

    I hope you may post more photo regarding these activity, exspecialy the progress of the activity. most people might interest on photos and videos as well.

    Thank

    ReplyDelete
  2. To: Mr. Roy
    Answer for Question 1:
    No doubt, teachers work hard for the right thing. Because they learn from what they do and the purpose they do is for their lovely students. For example, that Cooking Competition is for...
    Answer for Question 2:
    Undeniable, our secondary duties may bring some effect to our primary business. What we can do is try to minimize those affect and manage our time properly. That is our task as a teacher.

    Love your job and like to help...
    Positive your mind and open your heart...
    Light up your soul and archieve your goal...

    Well done and keep on your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To: Anonymous (August 7)
    Great... You are a good motivator.As an educator, we know very well about our responsibilities.But sometimes, teachers fail to bear multiple tasks in the same time and it affects us to produce with flying colours.

    No matter what it is.......a clap for you.
    Keep it up at motivating people around you.

    ReplyDelete


THE MEDIOCRE TEACHER TELLS.
THE GOOD TEACHER EXPLAINS.
THE SUPERIOR TEACHER DEMONSTRATES.
THE GREAT TEACHER INSPIRES.


WILLIAM ARTHUR WARD