Friday, July 3, 2009

The Power of Words


As the teacher on duty this week I was bombarded with a lot of disciplines cases. Maybe mid semester is the time when these students start to show their true colours. However, handling one of the students’ fighting cases really makes me realize that words can carry great power. The fight started when these students exchanged words and teased at each other.
This incident really reminded me of how much words can affect the scenario in class. There are times in my class that I really need to inject a lot of encouragement and motivation to keep my students’ hope alive through my words. I will always praise every little efforts and improvement made by my students. In my questions & answers session itself, the vocabularies that I used were “Good”, “Nice Try" and “Brilliant”. Teenagers today are used to immediate gratification and our compliments can really encourage them.
Of course, as a teacher sometimes we are so used to shouting and raising our voice at students. There are days and times when I reflect at it and feel regret for the choices of words that I had used to scold my students. Yet I will always remind myself to focus more on giving encouragement and motivation.
As a teacher, our tongue is a powerful weapon. We have the power both to build up and tear down our students. So, how are you using your power?

4 comments:

  1. The power of words and the power of body language... btul tu roy, pelajar skrg ni kalau dr mula masuk mula2 mengajar dlm kelas tu dah kita tak bertegas dan asyik bg muka je lama2 mereka akn hilang rasa hormat pd guru. walupun tujuan utk guna cara yg lebih mesra tu dpt merapatkan lagi hubungan yg lebih baik antara guru-pelajar tp ia lebih kepada individu. tp utk khlayak yg lebih ramai dlm 1 kelas tu baik guna pendekatan yg boleh menunjukkan kita lebih power sbb bkn semua pelajar tu mempunyai latarbelakang yg sama, ada yg baik dan ada yg nakal. kadang2 pun yg baik tu bila bergaul dgn yg nakal akn ikut jejak jd nakal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That y I strongly agree who are touble maker in school should be kick out to "sekolah budak jahat". you dun want to study but please do not kacau other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Our tongue is a powerful weapon" not really works on 'unique' students. They pretend to be deaf. A continous of reminding, scolding, warning,advising,teasing, have their attention in class,.... for long term on'unique' students are tiring.
    I keep asking myself, why i should make myself suffer as a teacher? As a teader why i have to beg them to study? Their future and result are none of my business.....I have nothing to lose.
    I failed to pretend deaf and blind on 'unique' students act.....So, i have to bear it. Huh....they are cleverer than me.
    Actually, i really hope that 'unique'students know their core business is studying and learning and as a teacher our core business is to educate the students. At the same time, i am learning too in this process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. terlebih dahulu, tanya diri kita sejak bila kali terakhir kita memuji orang dengan ikhlas? I deeply believe that WORDS CAN HEAL AND WORDS CAN KILL...Oleh itu, guru perlu berhati-hati dengan kata2 yg mrk luahkan itu dan ingatlah sentiasa, Tuhan kurniakan kita mulut untuk meluahkan sesuatu yg baik. Guru memainkan peranan yg sangat PENTING dalam membimbing & membantu anak didiknya memperoleh masa depan yg cerah. Kenapa penting?...Jurutera, Doktor, Angkasawan, Akauntan dll...tanpa GURU, siapalah mereka ini...Yg patut dipuji kita puji, yg patut ditegur kita tegur. Wahai Guru2 yg MULIA, teruskan amalan baik diri anda...

    ReplyDelete


THE MEDIOCRE TEACHER TELLS.
THE GOOD TEACHER EXPLAINS.
THE SUPERIOR TEACHER DEMONSTRATES.
THE GREAT TEACHER INSPIRES.


WILLIAM ARTHUR WARD