Saturday, August 1, 2009

Delay Gratification



Last Monday I was awarded as the excellent teacher of the month. In my school, there is this monthly recognition for the most outstanding teacher and student. To be honest, I have been longing for this award since my first year in this school. Yet, as time passed by, I had stopped thinking about it. So this reward came as  a surprise to me and when I have not expected it.
Then I realize there are some valuable lessons I've learned throughout this process that I would like to share in this blog entry. In the two years at this school, I personally thought that my efforts have gone unnoticed. There are times when I feel discouraged and upset when I didn’t receive any appreciation for my works.
This circumstance had taught me a lot about being patient. Delay gratification serves as an opportunity for us to learn more about patience. Today we are so used to immediate gratification and we can hardly wait for anything in our life. We tend to feel frustrated when some acknowledgement is delayed. Then we lose our commitment and passion in teaching. We are no more the dedicated teacher we used to be. For me, impatient is the serial killer for all the good and potential teachers.
Yes, we may feel frustrated and sad when we don’t receive enough credit for all the hard works and efforts (I had experienced it too). But, if we understand that sometimes God delays gratification and appreciation to prepare us for something better ahead, then we will never lose heart in everything we do.
So, keep on being patient and believe that if we continue to serve sincerely and give our best, someday the appreciation and promotion will come. Let us not just hoping for acknowledgement but let us focus on the satisfaction we get when we change the lives of our students.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulation......As time goes by it will prove someone true colours on their real effort, attitude and responsibility.So,in your case they realized it and you got the rewards.
    I want to share something:-
    When i'm in Form 4, my science teacher, Encik Zulkifli told us to "AIM FOR ACHIEVEMENT NOT FOR SUCCESS". He said not the result make you statisfy but is the process and efforts that you put on it. Honestly, on that time i didn't understand what's the meaning.
    Now, I understand .........
    Mr. Roy, think about it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. in our whole life,lots of unexpected chances tht we have,so..be thankful of wht u got..

    tQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. To anonymous: Agree, we measure success on how much efforts we have put in and not just the end result.

    To wiskahworld: Thanks for the comment. I will always remind myself to be thankful of God's blessing. But I will also share the lesson God had taught me along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulation 1st! For all TEACHERS around the world include Mr.Roy,
    "Praise yourself if people didn't praise you"
    "Reward yourself if people didn't reward you"
    "Appreciate yourself if people didn't appreciate you"
    "Honour yourself if people didn't honour you"
    Please remember that our almighty GOD knows and will reward us in his way.
    Don't give up in serving...

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats cikgu. u deserved it. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. i believe that u r the kind of ppl that will do the best for every task given. I longing to have this kind of attitude. Thanks for your sharing... it change my thinking. So happened to read your article, May God bless your life abundantly more than u can imagine. Hope that more articles from your blog in future.

    ReplyDelete


THE MEDIOCRE TEACHER TELLS.
THE GOOD TEACHER EXPLAINS.
THE SUPERIOR TEACHER DEMONSTRATES.
THE GREAT TEACHER INSPIRES.


WILLIAM ARTHUR WARD