Friday, August 28, 2009

One Malaysia in the Classroom


In Malaysia, we celebrate our Independence Day on August 31 annually. And this year marks the 52 anniversary of our sovereignty. Since the celebration is just around the corner, it is appropriate for me to touch on this issue through a perspective of a teacher. One of the differences that really caught my attention this year is the theme/ motto of the celebration itself- ‘One Malaysia’.
One Malaysia is a concept brought up by our very own Prime Minister, Y.B. Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak . Living in a multiracial country like Malaysia is vital to ensure that there is unity among the people. It is time for us to focus on the similarities and accept the differences of each race. It is time for us to come together as one nation and one voice.
As for me, I’m fortunate because this concept is not something strange to me. In fact, it has been something that really close to my heart. I am a mixed race (Indian, Chinese and Siamese) yet I was brought up in a small Malay’s village. Then, I was posted to East Malaysia in a town where I have met friends from different ethnicity, they are Ibanese, Melanau and Bidayuh. Therefore, I have this privilege to understand the cultures of each race in Malaysia.
So when I meet up with any new individuals, their races are not something that significant to me. We are all the same, we are Malaysian. Likewise, as a teacher we shouldn’t categorize or label our students according to their background or family status. Every student should have the same image in our mind and deserve the same attention. That’s why in school we practice uniformity among the students.
On the whole, with this spirit of One Malaysia let us start to treat our students equally and avoid discrimination in the classroom. Let it also be One Malaysia in the Classroom. Happy Independence Day & Selamat Menyambut Hari Kemerdekaan ke-52.

6 comments:

  1. A situation ( take place at USA):

    Albert (America) : Hi, nice to meet you.
    Yen Ni (Malaysia): Hi, nice to meet you too.
    Albert (America) : Where are you from?
    Yen Ni (Malaysia): I'm from Raub, Pahang.
    Albert (America) : Raub, Pahang-Where is the
    place located?
    Yen Ni (Malaysia): Malaysia.
    Albert (American): Oh....Malaysia. You are
    Malaysian.
    Yen Ni (Malaysia): Yes. I'm Malaysian
    ************************************
    "Yes. I'm Malaysian". That's right. One of the way to show patriotism.
    If you are Yen Ni, are you going to answer - No, I'm not Malaysian but I'm Chinese? Don't you think is funny if you answer in that way.
    We are out of practice in patriotism.
    Don't you agree?
    The words 'Kaum' and 'Bangsa' is it same?
    In my opinion, they are not the same.'Kaum' is refer to Malays, Chinese, Indian and etc. 'Bangsa' is refer to Malaysian.
    This concept ' Bangsa Malaysia' or Malaysian is not a new concept- is occurred since 16 Sept 1963(Malaysia Day).Most of us ...didn't apply it. Think....think....think.........
    Let start it now......still not too late.
    Salam 1 Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malaysia is a home for Malaysian. All Malaysian should live comfortable, peaceful and happily in their own home, Malaysia. Unfortunately, a friend of mine told me:-
    " No patriotism in me because I am not treat to feel like I'm Malaysian in my own home, Malaysia. I am an outsider. In addition, I don't feel an affinity to China." Why all these happened???
    May be it all caused by unequally threaten among Malaysian.
    My expression is I love my home. It really helps me to blend in easier with Malaysian cultures and learns to respect each others. In order to form uniformity, everyone should be threaten equally. Gratification should be gratify to those who truly deserve it - without race calculation.
    Malaysia Truly Asia..

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1Malaysia concept sounds good on paper but managing/ applying it is the hardest part. Each of every of us needs to break down cultural barriers and build up understanding among each other in order to work together in unison, and as one. As tha saying goes, Together we stand, divide we fall.

    "We are Malaysian" is all Malaysians dream. On that day, all of us will love and cherish one another, the air fill with joys and happiness despite our skin colours, different languanges and religions we hold.

    May our dream comes true.

    Selamat Menyambut Hari Kemerdekaan ke-52.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the past few days, we were asking to fill up some particulars in our organization. The particulars are as below and I filled up with confidence in this way:-

    Bangsa : Malaysia
    Etnik : Cina

    Unfortunately, we had been told to fill up in the other way:-

    Bangsa : Cina
    Etnik : Hokkien/ Kantonis/ Hakka/...

    Suddenly, I become a dumb person. Honestly said, dissapointed to hear about it. I have nothing to say. It's ridiculous and baloney.

    Every one of us is talking around about 1 Malaysia and we try our very best to stick up for each other but I still don't get it why this situation was happening again, again and again.

    I'm wondering, are we standing in the right track to achieve it? Are we standing under the same roof?

    Finally, "1 Malaysia concept" is it going to be only on paper or a display formal document and store in the shelf after a short period?

    I wish all Malaysians "Happy Malaysia Day" soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. no matter what happened in Malaysia (indeed is all over the earth) ... i love Malaysia... try to appreciate & not complaining... you will see the beauty of it no matter where u go..

    ReplyDelete


THE MEDIOCRE TEACHER TELLS.
THE GOOD TEACHER EXPLAINS.
THE SUPERIOR TEACHER DEMONSTRATES.
THE GREAT TEACHER INSPIRES.


WILLIAM ARTHUR WARD